- /ˈtʃaɪnəmən/ (say 'chuynuhmuhn)
noun (plural chinamen)
1. (upper case) Obsolete a native of China; a Chinese person.
2. Cricket a googly bowled by a left-handed person which spins as a leg break to a right-handed person batting.
3. Mining → chute1 (def. 1).
4. a cutting, bank or ramp so designed that a vehicle may be driven under it and loaded from above.
5. Mining a large stone found in gold-bearing gravels.
6. Shearing an unshorn lock (like a pigtail) on a sheep's rump.
7. have killed a Chinaman, Colloquial (humorous) (a fanciful explanation for a run of bad luck or ill fortune): the way his life is going, he must have killed a Chinaman.
Usage: Chinaman (def. 1) is now widely considered to be an offensive term. It has been supplanted by Chinese.
Australian English dictionary. 2014.